Housing Discrimination Laws

Home discrimination is a real issue, and it’s against the law.  Individuals who feel they may have been the victims of housing discrimination should know exactly how to recognize it and what to do about it.  This includes learning about the housing discrimination law and how to take action against those who have discriminated.

Fair Housing Discrimination Law

It’s important to learn all you can about the housing discrimination law.  Information about the housing discrimination act can be found in both the Fair Housing Act of 1968 civil rights as well as the Civil Rights Act of 1866.  The law states that no one shall be discriminated against based on:

  • Race
  • Color
  • Religion
  • Gender
  • National Origin
  • Family Status
  • Marital Status

Recognizing Housing Discrimination

discrimination for housing can occur in many different ways.  It can be blatant and obvious or hidden, but it’s important to know what behaviors represent housing discrimination and how to recognize them.  According to the Fair Housing Discrimination Act, the following behaviors are illegal:

  • Refusing to sell, rent or make available any dwelling based on discrimination.
  • Indicating a preference in advertisements regarding the real estate as to certain types of individuals – for instance, ‘Caucasian families only.’
  • Block Busting – persuading or attempting to persuade for profit a person to sell or rent a dwelling by making representations about the present or future entry.
  • Discriminate in the making or purchasing of loans or providing other financial assistance.
  • Creating different terms of membership for particular individuals or denying membership to particular individuals when it comes to real estate organizations.
  • Any kind of intimidation, coercion or threat to any person with the idea in mind of keeping them away from a particular neighborhood or dwelling.

Filing a Complaint

Individuals who feel as if they have been discriminated against should file a housing discrimination complaint with the Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) within one year of the discrimination.  HUD investigates all discrimination claims and can advise the individual on how to proceed further.

Hiring an Attorney

Those who have been discriminated against may choose to file a personal lawsuit against the transgressors.  The best choice for those individuals is to speak with a Civil Rights Attorney by obtaining a free consultation.  The attorney can advise the individual on what steps to take next and what must be proven in order to win a case.